LK204-7T-1U-TCI Serial shows only garble characters

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

JonL
LCD!

LK204-7T-1U-TCI Serial shows only garble characters

Post by JonL »

Hi,

after a few tests with the LK204-7T-1U-TCI Serial version, the display shows only garbled characters and even the manual reset process doesn't solve it.

JonL
LCD!

Post by JonL »

Well, this is strange now.

I manage to comunicate wuth the display through uProject if holding down the lower dot button.

If then I save the baud rate as 19200, further attempts won't be able to communicate with the display. So, it seems that I'm stuck here.

I was using Lcdproc successfully before, but now I can't. For instance, all keypresses receive garbled characters, which wasn't happening before.

Is there any other way to revert to factory settings, besides the dot button procedure, which I'm not able to make work? I'm kiinda stuck here.

JonL
LCD!

Post by JonL »

It seems that I can only communicate with the screen when power cycling with the dot button procedure.

Subsequent power cycles won't let me communicate with the display.

JonL
LCD!

Post by JonL »

Well, going through uProject (sometimes I don't know what it's doing), I found a Initialize Memory option. Could you give me the memory file to see if I can solve the problem?

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Jon,

My apologies for the delay, Monday was our Thanksgiving holiday. I see you've become quite familiar with uProject, but unfortunately, since it was created we changed one major command: the change baud rate functionality.

There are two ways to remedy this issue, both require the unit to be in override mode. First, you can use the uploader tab in uProject, select Raw Data from the Other command branch, locate the baud rate command in your manual, and enter the command byte by byte. Alternatively, you could use the change baud rate button in the newer MOGD# program.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

JonL
LCD!

Post by JonL »

Hi Troy,

Thanks for getting back on this.

Well, I've tried both the raw data and the MOGD# program, but to no avail.
That is, I can only communicate if doing the dot button procedure that forces the 19200 baud rate.

Any subsequent power cycles will not allow me to connect to the lcd screen, as if the 19200 setting done either with raw data or MOGD# would have been erased.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Jon,

First, make sure communication to the display is successful before issuing the baud rate change command.

Should the baud rate still fail to save correctly, you may want to check out the set and save data lock command to ensure the unit is unlocked and accepting settings changes.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

JonL
LCD!

Post by JonL »

Hi Troy,

yes, that was it. Did a Set Data Lock 0, and now I communicate with the display without need of the dot button procedure.

Anyway, I've got two problems.
1 - the keypad is sending weird characters. Can I set them properly to A, B, C, etc. in uProject?

2- I'm mainly using Linux (lcdproc) for this project. When I start my application now I still can't get anything to display. How can I troubleshoot this?

JonL
LCD!

Post by JonL »

One more thing that could help troubleshooting: the block bar graphs demos in uProject don't show the character blocks all filled, some cells are not highlighted.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Jon,

Glad to hear you are able to communicate with the display, at least in MOGD#.

To change the keypad values check out the assign keypad codes command in your manual, it will also list the default configuration.

You should be able to communicate to the display from a command window in Linux using the example posted in our Linux appnote. You should not need to install drivers unless you have a USB component so you can skip to the bottom of that document. Use the command window to confirm all settings and make sure LCDProc is set up correctly.

Finally, when printing bargraphs, you may see what appears to be an inverted 'P'. That character would result from a font difference where the value 255 prints a block character using a Japanese font and an inverted 'P' when a European font is used.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

JonL
LCD!

Post by JonL »

Hi,

I managed to set the keypad codes with uProject, but still can't get it working on Linux, which was working fine previously,

If I start the lcdproc application, text doesn't show up, but sometimes the screen's backlight turns on and off.

I'm afraid some setting could be off, so I ask again how can I set the whole display to factory settings.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Jon,

Try the manual override procedure in your manual, it will temporarily return all settings to their defaults.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

JonL
LCD!

Post by JonL »

Hi Troy,
you're referring to the dot button procedure?

But as soon as I power cycle the display, won't the settings return to the non-default values?

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Jon,

Exactly, you can check out the commands to save your settings through a power cycle in the manual.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

JonL
LCD!

Post by JonL »

Hi Clark,

well, I've made a set display, set brightness, I2c Slave Address and AutoTransmit keypresses in uProject and still can't display anything under Linux like before.