Uploading a font file without MOGD(#)

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Lunovus
LCD?

Uploading a font file without MOGD(#)

Post by Lunovus »

I need to upload a font file to a GLK24064-25 with PCB 1.x without using MOGD(#).

The font to be uploaded is the Lucida MONO 10x15 font.

Is there an easy way to generate/get the font file?

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hello Lunovus,

Unfortunately, MOGD# is the easy way to uplad a font file to a graphic unit like the GLK24064-25. You can check out your manual for information on creating a font file as well as the protocol used to upload it. Please be sure to note your PCB revision, we have moved away from the vertical drawing style used in your PCB so newer manuals will have incorrect information.

MOGD# will save a type of file header plus individual bitmaps for all characters within it's directory when a font is generated, but it does not create a binary string until the file is transmitted. You could listen to the transmission on the port as it is sent, but you would have to have a working display connected to ensure the echoing protocol is successful.

If there is anyway you can use either MOGD or MOGD# to upload your fonts I would recommend doing so. It is possible to upload these files on your own, but it is so much easier using a tool.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hello again Lunovus,

I am unsure of your circumstances, but I did look into the prospect of cloning a unit, in case you had one display you want to copy to many. I have confirmed with our firmware designer that a single font file cannot be downloaded from a unit. It is possible to dump the entire filesystem from one display, but on the older units it cannot be uploaded to another.

Our newer units do have provisions for uploading and downloading individual fonts as well as entire filesystems. Where possible I always recommend designing with the newest revision of our units, but understand this is not always possible.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

Lunovus
LCD?

Post by Lunovus »

Thanks for the additional research.

I guess I'll take the route of logging the communication between MOGD# and the display while uploading the font and replicating this (including echoing).

We have to support a number of existing displays so replacing/upgrading all of them is not an option, but in case one fails we will support a replacement display.