LK404-25 is possible to connect without RTS and CTS signals?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

hedisa
LCD?

LK404-25 is possible to connect without RTS and CTS signals?

Post by hedisa »

Hello
I'm new in this forum and my English is very little. Sorry for it

My question is: I'have a new LK404-25 LCD and it works very well connected to PC and using for example "uproject" software for configure it (I've changed baud rate without problems) and "Hyperterminal" for send manually characters from PC

But now I need to connect the LK404-25 LCD to special machine that has a simply RS232 output.

If I connect the simply machine to the computer, I can see in computer the information is receiving. I must configure Hyperterminal as 9600,n,8,1 flow control=none

But when I connect the LK404-25 I cannot see anything in LCD

Is posible the problem is that I've not RTS and CTS signals? or flow control = none?
Can I configure LCD for runs well? or make any change in cable for solve the problem?

the only signals cables I've in special machine are 2,3, and 5 (in DB9)

thankyou in advance!

X.Cano

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hello Cano,

No worries about the English, it looks just fine to me. I see you're having trouble interfacing an LK404-25 to another machine.

First, make sure the LK404-25 is set to 9600 baud to match your machine (default is 19200). The display will take 8 data bits, no parity, and 1 stop bit with no flow control, which seems to match the settings on your machine. RTS and CTS are not required for a display with a 4 pin power/communication header, like the LK404-25.

Second, you didn't mention it here, so I'll just check to make sure the unit is powered. When connecting to a machine you'll probably have to apply external power, you'll see the backlight come on and the start screen display if you have the unit powered correctly. You can power through the DB9 header with a modification, but to start it's easier to plug into the 4 pin header instead.

Finally, make sure your communication lines are going to the right pins; if you're having trouble you might try swapping Rx and Tx at one end.

Best of luck in your application, if you do have any further questions regarding the LK404-25, please don't hesitate to post.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

hedisa
LCD?

Post by hedisa »

Hello Clark
Thankyou for your fast answer

I will try to explain information you require:

- baud rate is surte to 9600. I was change it, and I can connect to LK404-25 from PC using this baud rate. And I can send testing text using software uproject or including hyperterminal

- LCD is powered on because including I've changed start screen, and when it is powered on, it appears my company's name at screen

- And finally, teorically the pins are all ok because with the SAME cable+connector, I can receive the information using PC as receiving (as LCD) with same configuration 9600,n,8,1 flow control=none

It means: I'start "special machine" + connect to PC + start PC Hyperterminal= information appears in Hyperterminal

I'start "special machine" + connect to LCD + start LCD = NO information appears, startup screen appears and anything more ...

Any idea?

Sorry for my question about CTS and RTS because in LCD manual is very clear that it only uses 3 pins!

Thankyou in advance

X.Cano

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hello Cano,

I appreciate the update; the more you write the more it looks like your transmit and receive lines may not be connected correctly. Try changing the pins to which receive and transmit are connected on one end of your cable.

And hey, no worries about RTS and CTS, we have actually added them to new designs like the GTT.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

hedisa
LCD?

Post by hedisa »

Hello again

You have reason. It was a connection problem
We have inverted RX and TX signals in a manual gender changer
Now it works well!!!

Thankyou very much

Now I have a little and more easy question:

How can I change autoscroll and autowrap values?

I was tried using uproject software and "raw data" option, introducing the HEX values and "executing" command. But it seems dont work

Can you help me (again)?

Thankyou in advance

X.Cano

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

No worries Cano,

It's good to see you are able to communicate from your machine to our display, and great to read that you're already working with raw data in uProject.

I believe scroll and wrap are turned on by default, meaning text will wrap to the next line when it reaches the end of a row and scroll up when it reaches the last line. You can even use the simple check boxes in the main tab while sending text to quickly see the difference.

You can also change the point at which scrolling starts, but not wrapping. Check your manual for the command to change the font metrics, this will have a scroll parameter that tells the display how far down to print before it begins to scroll text. By default it's set to the size of the display.

Anyway, play around with those values a little, and be sure to let us know if you have any more trouble.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

hedisa
LCD?

Post by hedisa »

Hello again and thankyou again for your fast answer

My actual problem (I'm sure is the last problem with LCD) is that information appears only in first line
Every time my machine sends a string, it appears in first line erasing the previous string. Then the other 3 lines rest in blank

If I undertand well the manual, I must activate autoscroll=on for force LCD to skip to the next line every time it receives a string
(The strings we are receiving are more little than 40 that is the rows number of this lcd)

then, I try to activate autoscroll using uproject with next steps:

-open uproject, select baud rate, open com, test in "main" tab if comunication runs well (and runs well), pushing over "remember" button in "remember" tab and finally, executing raw data in last tab with commands:

/254/ /81/

But when I execute the command, port disconnects (I can see at down-right that the "connected" information change to "disconnected" inmediatly

and when I try to receiving information to LCD, it stills uses only first line

Can you helpme?

Thankyou anb congratulations for this forum

X.Cano

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

No worries Cano,

Scroll will act a little differently than you are expecting; it will move all the characters up when the screen is completely full to start a new line at the bottom.

Both scroll and wrap commands are in uProject, but I misspoke when I indicated where to find them. Check out the bottom of the alphanumeric tab for check boxes and use the main tab to send text. Once you know what you want on and off, turn remember on, make your change, then remember to turn remember off. You only have about 100,000 write cycles with remember on, so it's good to save them when you can.

Overwriting text and beginning at the home position are not natural functions of the display. It seems you may have some control characters in your string that the display is responding to, please see page 17 in the manual for a complete list. Please note the carriage return character 0x0D will send the display back to the beginning of it's current line, I believe that may be included in your string. Have a look for that or any of the other control characters that may be affecting your display output.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

hedisa
LCD?

Post by hedisa »

Hello again

You have reason, my string has carriage return character at final

For this reason every string is only displayed in first line and I only can see last string

Is posible to configure LCD for skip one line when receives carriage return?
(I know that exists other LCD that allows add "line feed" after receive carriage return)

Or any other idea?

(I cannot make changes in string I'm receiving)

Thankyou!

X.Cano

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hello Cano,

I've looked through the manual, and unfortunately, I can't find a way to change display behaviour when the carriage return is received. I even tried the lock setting, but it locks commands only and does not affect the control characters.

Our GTT is configurable to allow the Unix control you speak of, transferring one line down when receiving a carriage return, but the LK404-25 is not.

If, and this is a big "if", you will be working with, and ordering, a large number of displays we may be able to make a custom change to the firmware to alter the carriage return behaviour. Again, a minimum quantity will be required and most likely a price increase, if you are likely to start a production run we can get you in touch with sales for more info.

If you are working with a single display for your application, I would recommend trying to set up your machine to send a different character, line return possibly, or no character at all.

I wish I could be more help here, but I think you're fighting more with your machine at this point than our display. Should you have any further questions regarding that LK404-25, don't hesitate to post.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

hedisa
LCD?

Post by hedisa »

Hello mr Troy
Ok understanded

Unfortunatelly my source machine dont allows any configuration parameters

Please give my contact to your sales department about posibility of create new firmware with this feature (change carriage-return by line feed)

x.cano@hedisa.com

We want to buy 3 more LCDS LK404-25 and we want to know what price can you offer us and what delivery time for new firmware

Thankyou very much for all your help

X.Cano

hedisa
LCD?

Post by hedisa »

Hello again

Have you any news from your sales department?

I've dont received any offer for new firmware

Thankyou in advance

Best wishes

X.Cano

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hello X.Cano,

My apologies for the delay, I have forwarded your request to sales, you will be contacted shortly. Please note your quantity is rather low for a custom, I wouldn't be surprised if your request is turned down or the required quantity raised. Sales will provide all the details.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital