Fan control???

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

drmartintsai
LCD?

Fan control???

Post by drmartintsai »

hey guys!

unfortunatly im not so technically advanced...... i bought my MX212 i think.....september of 2008.... i tried to get it working...never did.....but recently i bought a GTX460 graphics card and needed a fan controller....and i remembered my MX212....and decided to take the challange again lol....

what im trying to do....is to have my computer boot up with the fans (2 of them) running....and after all is booted... i want to be able to control the fan speed from my desktop with my keyboard if possible....if not id like to control it from the MX212 panel itself with the buttons.

SO!!! Ive installed it into my comp. I plugged it in the usb port and instaleld all the drivers and LCDC software. The screen lights up and all. but my fan does not spin. Now im stuck... i do not have the slightest idea how to get them working. I've searched google everywhere but no one posted any guides? :o is everyone that smart? :o any help would be appreciated. HOPEFULLY i can get it working this time....instead of letting it gather dust again for another couple of years lol....

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hey Dr. Martin,

Good to hear you're digging that old MX out and putting it to work, sounds like it's up and running which is a good start. Next, you'll need to set up your display with LCDC. This is a third party program so they will be able to offer the best support, but I think I can get you started.

First, start up LCDC and configure your display. In connection type you can autodetect your unit, or enter settings manually. Then test it out by sending the sample string. Next, you can move down to the GPO setup and set the startup conditions for your fans. Finally, you can move down to the control section in advanced features and tell LCDC what you would like to be in control of the speed.

LCDC will have to be running to change the fan speed after startup, so you may want to move up to screen builder to create a few screens and assemble the playlist. You may be able to add in control from the keyboard or display keypad using events, but fan speed is a little beyond anything I've done.

If you want the display to come on when the computer boots, rather than waiting for Windows to start up, I'd recommend investigating the alternate power header. Check your PCB revision on the back of the unit, then head over here and read the power section for more info. Older units may require the removal of a resistor, but you'll be able to connect a standard floppy cable to get power as soon as the supply is switched on.

Should you have any further questions as you continue with your build, please don't hesitate to post.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

MailManX
LCD?

Fan Control

Post by MailManX »

I will be following this topic with interest...

I just finished a new build which incorporates an MX313 (my first Matrix Orbital product). I connected (4) temperature probes and (3) case fans to the MX313. I'm using the floppy connector input with the jumper in the high power position. I'm also using an optional internal USB cable from a header on the motheboard.

I just finished the build tonight. Windows 7 is loaded and the MX313 driver is loaded. The Matrix Orbital default screen is working and the display is perfect!

Now I'll start experimenting with LCDC. Among other things, I, too, wish to control fan speeds from the unit. I want to figure out how to manually adjust the speed of each fan using the MX313 keypad. If I happen to figure it out before someone else posts it here, I will post what I found.

Michael
A child could understand this. Fetch me a child!