Need help with wiring a keypad matrix interface

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

110220Volts
LCD!

Need help with wiring a keypad matrix interface

Post by 110220Volts »

I bought a Matrix Orbital VK204-24-USB and I am making a semi-custom case for it (I found an old Point Of Sale display for cheap on eBay) anyway I will post progress when I get the pole display in. I want to make a keypad using momentary switches. The VK204-24 has a built in Keypad controller with six columns and four rows and the keypad Matrix Orbital sells has 15 Keys I want at least 10 keys (5 for cursor control and 5 for playback control) I need help wiring the thing as I don't understand Matrix Orbitals diagram I just want a basic diagram of which key to connect to what row/column and how to connect the buttons together
Thanks and sorry for all of the hardware questions lately as I really a noob it comes to electronics

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Volts,

The Matrix keypad scheme requires only that one column contact one row to generate a keypress. It sounds easy enough at first but wiring things up can get tricky.

First, if you can, get a female connector for the keypad header to solder your leads to; if you run into any trouble it's easier to replace a connector than the header on the board. Second, I have a sample wiring scheme for your application below to get you started.

C6-S1-R1, C6-S2-R2, C6-S3-R3, C6-S4-R4, C5-S5-R1, C5-S6-R2, C5-S7-R3, C5-S8-R4, C4-S9-R1, C4-S10-R2

As always, if you have any questions feel free to throw them up.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

110220Volts
LCD!

Post by 110220Volts »

I can get a female pin header
so each switch is wired in parallel? I connect s1 to C6 and R1 and switch s2 to c6 after or before s1? i

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Sorry Volts, each switch will be separate. To wire S1 connect one side of S1 to C6 and the other side to R1. To connect S2 tack on another wire to C6 and solder it to one side of S2 then wire the other side to R2.

You can see there will be up to 4 connections made to some of the keypad pins and you are more than welcome to change the scheme up to lower that number. The important thing to remember is that each switch is wired on one side to a column and to a row on the other. No two switches should share the same column and row.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital