VK204-24-USB Power Requirements

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

110220Volts
LCD!

VK204-24-USB Power Requirements

Post by 110220Volts »

I bought a NOS (New Old Stock, Never Used)VK204-24-USB and I am unsure of the power requirements of the display I currently have it in a RadioShack box as an external display and I have a couple of questions about powering the display I tested the display and I know it works (I used a mini 4 pin floppy connection + The USB Cable I tested it before I made my external box my questions are about powering the display within my box)
I am not using the Fan GPOS but I plan on using the lower power GPOS for LED indicators and I also plan on making a keypad to control my screen & Winamp
1. Can the VFD be powered by 5Volts only? as I am only using the Low power GPOS

I have an extra wall power supply (5VDC @ 2.5A) and I want to put a DC Jack on the back of my box currently I am using a power supply from an external drive 5/12VDC @ 2A the power supply has a a standard 4 pin molex connection and I am using a floppy power adapter to power it now but I would like to just power the display with my 5VDC Power adapter

Thanks and I am sorry for the ridiculously long post (I Just wanted to make sure I posted all of my information and my use for the display)

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Volts,

No worries, I understand you are looking for power specs on a VK204-24-USB with a few low power GPOs attached. The VFD is indeed powered by 5v alone, and normally draws about 500 to 700 mA as indicated in the manual. The unit will experience a brief inrush current at start up which can be as much as twice the normal operating current. The GPOs, at low power, will be capped at 20mA each.

With the screen and GPO specs for 3 low powered outputs provided, it looks like you may expect up to about 1.46A. I'd encourage you to double check the documentation provided, but by my calculations your adapter should have enough power for this project.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

110220Volts
LCD!

Another simple power & data question

Post by 110220Volts »

I am currently modding my VFD into an old Emax Point of sale display and I was going to use the same power adapter as mentioned before in my first post of this thread but the pole only has 4 wires ran down it (I can however run more if I absolutely need to) I just want to know since I am using an external power supply do I need to run an extra two wires for the USB +5VDC or can I just use the 4 wires that I already have (2 for the external power supply and the other two for the USB data) I ask this because with electronics you don't just try things as you can permanently damage the display and I of course don't want to do that
Thanks

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Volts,

The best way to power the unit will be with one set of power lines, provisions have been provided on the board to ensure power can be supplied to the entire board from either connection.

If you are running power to the 4 pin floppy header make sure the PS jumper is soldered to the left of that jumper. Else, if you are running power to the USB or alternate USB header ensure the U jumper under those headers is soldered. As you can see, jumping and powering both connections will create a smoky problem, thus the recommendation for a single power connection.

If you have any further questions let me know, otherwise all the best in development.

Thanks,
~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital