WIN CE USB drivers

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

mbevacqua
LCD?

WIN CE USB drivers

Post by mbevacqua »

Are drivers available for the LK204-7T-1U-USB-GW under Win CE. Can I use the standard FTDI drivers (if one is available?)

Thanks

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

We use a stock FT232R on those so I see no reason why the standard drivers wouldn't work (Given that there is a USB Host controller on your embedded device). Although its not a scenario we have tested in house it doesn't look like a big problem, if you run into any specific issues we'd be more then happy to help you guys with getting this going.

mbevacqua
LCD?

Post by mbevacqua »

I'll order one right now and give it a try. We are currently using the serial port version and that is working well, we just need to free up the port for another device.

mbevacqua
LCD?

Post by mbevacqua »

I got my LK USB panel and gave it a try under Win CE 6.0 with no luck. The issue is that to install under XP requires two parts the first uses ftdibus.inf and the second uses ftdiport.inf. The CE driver only has the second part. What exactly does ftdibus.inf do?

Here's what I've done so far:

Plugged LCD into CE system. Installation dialog comes up and I installed the ftdiport driver. That driver is now in the registry but the device is still not recognized.

Plugged LCD device into XP system and installed using "standard" FTDI driver and modifying the PID and VID as described for CE installation. That worked fine as long as I modified the ftdibus.inf file first and the ftdiport.inf file second.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

ftdibus is the busdriver in 'regular' windows that it uses to enumerate the virtual comports. by the looks of it windows CE doesn't seem to need this.

Lets get the most basic configuration going first, using the standard driver and ftdi's factory default vid/pid, Can you download mprog from the ftdi utilties page?

Using mprog you should be able to reprogram the chip on our board to the ftdi defaults. Lets give that a try and see if the stock configuration works after that we'll see what needs to be done for the CE drivers to recognize the vid/pid the boards ship with.

mbevacqua
LCD?

Post by mbevacqua »

Using FT_Prog I was able to change all values on the "USB Device descriptor" and "USB Strings Descriptor" tabs to FTDI defaults. That made everything work perfectly.

I will test more, but I'm guessing the "String Descriptors" are the problem since there isn't a section for them in the provided INF file.

This solution seems to work, but obviously, for production purposes, it would be better if I didn't need to reprogram all the LCDs before installing.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

String descriptors are rarely used for anything other then 'human' indentification of the product, so i'm leaning towards CE not picking up on the new pid/vid combination. Did you do the changes for the different pid/vid combination in the inf before you installed the driver? If you have regedit on your CE system can you see if a registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\LoadClients\6973_300

exists and has some sane values in it?

If we really can't get this to work we can always setup a custom module for you and ship with the ftdi vid/pid from the factory. I doubt however that would be needed but a backup plan is always nice to have right?

mbevacqua
LCD?

Post by mbevacqua »

I copied all the VID/PID info from your INF file to the CE INF file. It is the same procedure I used when installing the driver on XP using the FTDI driver instead of yours. I don't have the registry key you indicated is necessary. A number of entries were added by the driver, but not that number. If that is the correct LoadClient entry, I can add it manually with all the correct driver info and see what happens.