Best screen for my application (Digital Tachometer)

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

RPMBasic
LCD?

Best screen for my application (Digital Tachometer)

Post by RPMBasic »

Hi,

I am currently making a digital tachometer for my car that will read out RPM, oil temp, and other vitals. I am using a BASIC Stamp 2SX chip, and I am wondering what you recommend in the way of a cheap screen to display the information on. I would like 4x20 or larger, and the bigger the better. Parallax recommends the LK-204-25, but at $100 it is a bit pricey, since I am trying to make the entire project under $100. They claim that their "...version is pre-modified for BASIC Stamp module-compatibility." What, if anything, would I have to do to modify one of your screens for use with a BASIC stamp? Any other insight would be much appreciated!

--Thanks

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

The paralax models are premodified to use TTL levels instead of the regular rs232 levels, this modification is possible on all models and usually involves either setting a physical jumper or bridging 2 pads with a small blob of solder or 0 Ohm resistor, the manual will explain how this is done for each specific model.

Before i can recommend an alternative display i need to know what your requirements are. Do you need/want a keypad interface? do you require GPO's if so how many? Do you want 1-wire support?

RPMBasic
LCD?

Post by RPMBasic »

I don't need keypad interface, GPO's, or 1-wire support. I do need a backlight, as the car will be driven at night or in other adverse light conditions. Also, as this will be stored inside the car in a place that doesn't ever get below 40 F, so cold temps won't be a problem. Hot temperatures may become an issue, but I highly doubt that I will be leaving it in the car for extended periods of time.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

How about an MOS-AL204B-YX its a 4x20 for only $49 and it has 4.84 mm x 9.22 mm characters the largest we offer without moving to the more expensive graphical units.