Can't find serial port for USB GX24064

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

drapple
LCD?

Can't find serial port for USB GX24064

Post by drapple »

I just received a GX24064 USB display. I installed the drivers and LCDStudio and all that works great.

However, I want to write my own program to control the display via python. I'm having no luck finding the virtual COM port the drivers are supposed to give me.

Communication with the display seems fine, since LCDStudio works. In the Device Manager, I have an entry for the Matrix Orbital GX Series rev 2 display, but under the Ports (COM & LPT) I have only the built-in "real" serial ports COM1 and COM2.

Any ideas? is there another driver I should have installed? Thanks!

-Doug

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

The GX doesn't use the regular ftdi usb-> serial chips we use on many of our other products the speeds we where able to acchive using the usb-> serial chips where not up to par with the peformance we wanted.

For writing your custom application we do supply a library you can use from any .Net language, see this topic for a walkthough + small code sample. I'm not entirely sure how well python deals with .net stuff though.

drapple
LCD?

Post by drapple »

Ah. Okay.

I'm thinking then I'll write my own little "driver" in C# which a Python script can use to pump data down to the device. There's a little more effort there, but I guess I can't avoid the middleman.

Thanks for the quick reply!

-Doug