my dream MO VFD

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

T-bolt
LCD?

Post by T-bolt »

I have been a big fan of Matrix Orbital displays for a while. As such, imho, the following features would strengthen the product line even more! Would it be possible to develop something like this at MO?

- graphical 20x4 vfd
- brightness on each pixel of vfd can be independently controlled via software
- 8 high-power GPOs (12V, 750 mA per GPO) with resistance to voltage shocks (from fans), also with a third pin for RPM monitoring. RPM data sent back to software to determine if a particular GPO needs to be activated. Of course a fan or other load need not use the RPM pin.
- GPO voltage can be regulated by software (ie so that fan speed can be variably set)
- 8 thermister inputs. Temp info sent back to software (this would be a killer feature)
- 25-key keypad inputs
- able to fit in a single 5.25 inch bay

That's about it. Thoughts?

TB

CyPher
LCD Guru

Post by CyPher »

that would rock.....in a very big way.....even if it required two bays..you could include it as a kit which included a custon keypad etc....the complete digital baybus....

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

that's damn nice :grin:

The problem would be cost, a VFD like that with all the features would be expencive...
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

fra dolpi
LCD!

Post by fra dolpi »

i'm ready to make any debt to pay for one of them !!! please make some one .... please !!!! :smile:

T-bolt
LCD?

Post by T-bolt »

Some features would be more important than others. This model would be geared for controlling fans, so thermister, rpm, high voltage would be top priority, the other features just extra. I wonder if Matrix Orbital could design the board horizontally instead of vertically so that a 20x4 could fit in a single 5.25 slot. Since it would be for computer cases, the depth for it would be there.

tb

T-bolt
LCD?

Post by T-bolt »

but i would pay good money for it, say $250 to $300? Either way, i like to dream. :smile:

tb

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

Just to answer the issue about individual pixel brightness. The answer is "not likely". You have to understand that they work very much like a CRT or a TV in the sense that there is an electron source and that the electrons are accelerated to smash into phosphors which then glow. There is only one set of power supplies for the entire display and that is why brightness is "all or none". In order to vary each individually, you would need 2880 separate, digitally controlled "high voltage" power supplies. This is not going to happen in your lifetime.

However, there are other technologies that are similar and might get you your dream someday. I am sure that someday someone will start making very small colour plasma displays... not that Matrix Orbital is going to be happy about this...