anyone ever tackled auto displays? / traction control

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

cosworth
LCD?

Post by cosworth »

I'm a little new ot the controller/LCD world mostly because I want to put one in the car. My tired old gauges don't cut it.

I'd like to show 2 pressures, wheel speed, one temperature and engine speed. This cannot be that hard to interface with existing sensors. A nice startup screen is going to be done of course.

Can anyone recommend a good controller? I've got a good little 8051 with 50 I/Os coming to me. I really can't see the hex programming being all that tough with all the compilers out there. What sort of A/D would you use if at all?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cosworth on 2002-03-20 12:34 ]</font>

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

Microchip flash parts are pretty cost/development effective. Atmel too (Happy Henry?)

BASIC stamps ( http://www.hvwtech.com ) are nice and easy.

I especially recommend talking to Mark at HVW Tech as he makes such things for use in karts.

relix
Uber Slave
Uber Slave

Post by relix »

also pics are good, especially the OOPIC (www.oopic.com), this pic doesn't need a programmer and a cable to program it through parallell port is included. Also software to write software for it in VBasic (!) C++ (!) and another language that I can't recall. It has lots of neat stuff like software components to easily read the temperature of some sort of temperature sensor. I suggest you take a look, they would really make programming the microcontroller easy.

cosworth
LCD?

Post by cosworth »

The guys at HVW will be a good resource as they are not far from me in the grand scheme of things. I thought that first I'll tackle some of the more simpler 8051 commands first by making a traction control system for my car. It will read the wheel speed sensors it has and follow something like this:

INPUT #1: 4 speed sensors that generate a voltage. (square wave I think). Speed of 4 wheels is *averaged*. This value is the "Rule Speed". Normal operation will see a 0-1.99% variance ignored. Adjustibility here is the tuning of the system I believe.

OUTPUT #1 = 2v
OUTPUT #2 = Modify injector pulse width (5v)

ALGORITHM:
If one or more wheel(s) is outside RULE SPEED, implement OUTPUT #1 for 1.0s or until RULE SPEED is withing spec. If RULE SPEED no longer violated, end.

If RULE SPEED is still in violation after that 1.0s, add OUTPUT #2 (cut pulse width in half?) for 1.0s or until RULE SPEED is withing spec. If RULE SPEED no longer violated, end.

If RULE SPEED still is in violation, OUTPUT #2 can go "dead". No pulse widths let through. This will end RULE SPEED violation, once RULE SPEED violation has ended, cease all OUTPUTS.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It is in theory a basic speed governor for 4 wheels. A rudimentary traction control system. Would anyone be interested in partnering on this project? I might even pay for some coding. I'm using a pjrc 8051 dev borad as the first guinea pig.

I will be doing it with a Ford vehicle.

cosworth
LCD?

Post by cosworth »

Well HWV totally shot me down saying they wouldn't do it because it was dangerous and too complicated. Anything can be done if you apply yourself. Funny thing is I can do this myself but don't have the time. It needs to be coded soon. Oh well. Maybe I'll just have to postpone implementation until I can find time to code it.

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

I thought you were asking about which processor you could use? This is why I sent you to HVW. If you said you were looking for someone to build you a truch and do all the programming, I would have not sent you there.

So, lets see if I have this straight. You have a truck with independent digitally controlled power systems with an 8051 and interface hardware hooked up and working and you are having a hard time finding someone to write *CODE*? Hahaha.

Make a little sign that says "I have a truck with independent digitally controlled power systems with an 8051 and interface hardware hooked up and working and I need someone to help play with it" and wear it to the local technical college. Problem solved in 5 minutes.

Thlayli
LCD Geek

Post by Thlayli »

haha that's great :grin: