Moderators: Henry, Mods

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Changing the Baud Rate With uProject

Post by Jon »

1. Download uProject and the manual for your specific Display
2. Open uProject.exe
3. Select the Comport that the display is connected to.
4. Select the Baudrate that the display is using (Default 19200)
5. Click Open Com
6. Click the Main Tab at the top
7. Use the Brightness slider to see if the display is responding to commands.
---If the display does not respond ensure that the com port and baudrate settings are correct.
8. Click on the Remember Tab
9. Click on the remember Button
8. Click the Uploader Tab
9. Click on the '+' button
10. Click Raw Data
11. In the HEX number text box write FE (or 254 in the decimal box)
12. click add. '/254/' should appear in the raw data text box
13. Find the command to change the baud rate of your specific display in the user manual. If it is the new revision the command will be HEX number: 39 (decimal 57), so write that in the HEX number text box, and click add.
14. The Raw data text box should now say '/254//57/'
15. Find the HEX value that corrispons to the Baud Rate that you want to change your display to. For the newest revision alphanumeric display's the values are:

DEC - HEX - Baud
83 - 53 - 1200
41 - 29 - 2400
207 - CF - 4800
103 - 67 - 9600
51 - 33 - 19200
34 - 22 - 28800
25 - 19 - 38400
16 - 10 - 57600

16. If you want to change the display to 9600 baud add 67 in the HEX number box and click add.
17. Click OK
18. Right Click on the Command that you just added in the list and click execute line

You are done!
Last edited by Jon on Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vsabino
LCD?

hanging the Baud Rate With uProject

Post by vsabino »

Hello,
I'm new to these displays. I just bought a LCD2041.
I tried what is described here, and it did not work.
I first tried changing it using the MAIN TAB in uPROJECT, that did not work either.

Can you help me do this?

Thanks,
Victor

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Hi victor, the drop down box in uProject does not work with the new revision display's.

When the display is still new, the baud rate of the display will be at 19200. However if, while you were playing with it, you accidentally changed the baud rate, you can reset it back to the default.

In order to do this please download the manual as suggested in step 1. In the manual you will find a section titled "Manual Override" with a blown up picture of the pins that you will need to jumper, as well as the instructions on how to do it.

The next step will be to ensure that the display is properly connected to the com port, and receiving power. You may want to consider getting a Communication and Power Cable if you are having trouble with this.

Once you are certain that the display is connected and powered up properly you may then open uProject, choose the COM port that it is connected to, and then click "Open COM". Once you have opened the com port, you may double check that it is opened by using the contrast and brightness slider. Here I must note, that as long as you are seeing the brightness, or the contrast changing in any way, you are communicating with the display.

If you are not communicating with the display you will not be able to change the contrast or brightness at all. Sometimes you may notice uProject throwing some garbage characters on the screen when you attepmt to change the brightness/contrast. You may ignore this. However if you are on the wrong baud rate, you will see streams of garbage characters (10-20 at a time).

Once you have reached this step, the rest is easy. Simply procede to step 8.

If you are still having trouble, please tell me at which stage are you having problems?

vsabino
LCD?

Setting Baud rate with uproject

Post by vsabino »

Hi Jon,
Thanks for that.

I traced back what I was doing, and I found that I was forgetting to do the remember step. Now it works fine.
Is there a help file or document to explain how to use uproject?

OK to uproject not working. What else is not working? I ask this because I also tried using the uploader tab. On the left hand side where you find the RAW DATA option there is also the SETTINGS option, where you can also set the baud rate. That does not work either.

I also noticed the strange characters, why is that?

Thanks,
Victor

planetx6
LCD?

Post by planetx6 »

I followed the steps above and when i clicked on the 'execute line' the status changed from 'connected' to disconnected' in the status bar at the bottom of the window.

I am not sure if it changed the baud rate or not, I don't think it did, becuase if I go back to the COM Setup tab and click on Autodetect it finds COM 1 with 19200.

Also, I need to use this changed baud rate i.e. 9600 in some other program once it successfully changes, will it hold true lets say in hyperterminal after I quit uProject?

-Raman

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Raman,

Thanks for your question, sorry to hear that you've been having some trouble changing the baud rate on your Matrix Orbital display. The steps outlined in the guide above will allow you to change the baud rate of your display based upon a one byte value that corresponds to your desired speed.

This change will be saved and used every time the display is powered no matter which program is used to communicate, provided the remember steps are followed correctly.

Be sure that you have communication with your display, and the proper byte corresponding to the desired speed is chosen, and you should have no trouble.

Please note that when Auto Detect is selected once it has already been preformed, it will show the last display found. To search again, just hit refresh and any new displays or baud rate changes will be reflected.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital