Using a GLC24064 under Linux

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

tillin9
LCD?

Using a GLC24064 under Linux

Post by tillin9 »

Howdy, I have a GLC24064 that works fine under Windows. I want to use it in a project with a new Linux box I am building out of an old SGI machine. My first question is if this is possible without writing some custom code for it. I would much rather use an established package than have to do it all myself. However, since I do have a background in programing, and the firmware is well documented, this wouldn't be all that horrible.

Searching the Matrix Orbital site, forums, and google didn't provide any direct answers on how to do this. The closest I came was that LCDproc using the graphic metadriver enhancement might be able to use it, but it was far from clear.

The main feature I need in a software package is to set a text offset from the right of the screen. Browsing the manual, I didn't see an easy way to do this in the firmware, though there is an easy way to do it from the left. Basically I upgraded the lcd in my windows box, so I have in effect a spare lcd. I needed an lcd to fit a 3"x1.25" in the case, and would like to the GLC for that purpose. However, putting it into a bezel than blocks part of the right of the screen would require some kind of offset to prevent any text from being displayed there and thus being hidden.

As far as graphics go, I would love to have them, but they are not necessary. The only reason I was thinking of using the GLC is because I had it lying around not doing anything, and none of my other Matrix Orbital or regular HD44780 displays fit the opening properly.

[EDIT: I can't simply move the lcd to use the left offset since the case doesn't let me do this. I could if there was some way to change which way the lcd viewed to be right-side up, but I don't think this is possible in a text-mode. ]