GLK12232-25 & ESD

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

4PI
LCD?

Post by 4PI »

How to make GLK12232-25 display less susceptible to ESD contact and air discharges. Should the corner mounting hols (pads) be grounded or floating.
Tx,

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 4PI on 2002-02-26 12:39 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 4PI on 2002-02-26 12:42 ]</font>

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

They should be grounded, but - THIS IS IMPORTANT - doing so is not automatically the "right thing".

The mounting holes (or most of them, anyway), are connected to the ground plane and the ground plane is connected to the metal bezel and also connected to the electrical ground. If you are experiencing ESD, you want all of that and the case too to be at THE SAME GROUND. The best thing would be if the case is the ground (like an automobile). Use no ground connections but the case. Failing that, USE THICK WIRE. By thick, I mean, as thick as you can stand! ESD is not about a wire's current carrying capacity, it is about a wire's surface area. ESD does not travel *through* wire, it travels *on* wire. To make sure that you do not allow to be created, a voltage differential, you want the ESD to exist equally on all points of your ground. This is what you are trying to accomplish in most instances, to minimize the ground impedance at all points on the ground.

Does that help?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aniso on 2002-02-25 15:46 ]</font>

4PI
LCD?

Post by 4PI »

Observations:
- If mounting holes needs to be grounded they are lucking surface area for proper ground connection,
- our Display is loosing readout (resetting itself) with contact & air discharge to chassis surrounding it (4/8 kV), no memory loss, mounting holes earthed.
Any suggestions

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

I did not say that, and no they are not. Read what I said, or have someone translate it for you. If - after you are completely sure that you have understood what I wrote - you still have questions, I will be happy to answer them.

4PI
LCD?

Post by 4PI »

It would be nice to keep all emotions out of it. So far I

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

Henry,

Do you have a meter? Can you measure two points for continuity? The bezel certainly has the potential to be connected, given that it is in contact with 6 bare gold plated areas, but probably not all are due to paint or oxide on the bexel.

4PI,

you have not told me that you have tried my first and best suggestions or even that you understand why I suggested those things. In fact, you have not even told me if your case is metal. Let's start with that.