Is there something wrong with pin 9?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

TBO
LCD?

Post by TBO »

I'm going to buy the LCD2041. I don't want to build it in my pc so I'm thinking of using pin 9 for the voltage. Are there reasons for not doing that? (Is it bad for the motherboard or something else?)

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Power PC application we always recomend using a Wideo Voltage unit. Mostly because we don't trust a computer power supply that much. If there is ever a voltage spike (anything over 5.25Vdc) the LCD will stop working. I have seen this happen only one or twice but it can happen. If you use pin 9 on the DB-9 cable then you can only input +5Vdc into the LCD even if it's a Wide Voltage unit because it will by pass the voltage regulator circuit.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Aniso
-=Beloved by all=-
-=Beloved by all=-

Post by Aniso »

Please, both of you read the note in the FAQ about this.

jodynicH
Case Guy
Case Guy

Post by jodynicH »

On 2002-02-01 09:24, Henry wrote:
Power PC application we always recomend using a Wideo Voltage unit. Mostly because we don't trust a computer power supply that much. If there is ever a voltage spike (anything over 5.25Vdc) the LCD will stop working. I have seen this happen only one or twice but it can happen. If you use pin 9 on the DB-9 cable then you can only input +5Vdc into the LCD even if it's a Wide Voltage unit because it will by pass the voltage regulator circuit.
heheheh henry

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

jodynicH
Case Guy
Case Guy

Post by jodynicH »

henry, add one to your fried count :grin:

TBO
LCD?

Post by TBO »

I seen the FAQ about this. But I was just wondering if that was the only negative thing about it. Thx for the reply!