Viewability LCD vs. VFD

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Ashman
LCD?

Viewability LCD vs. VFD

Post by Ashman »

I'm looking at the different types of displays available for a HTPC setup I'm working on and I'm wondering how the different displays look from across a room.

For example, I have an amp that has a VFD display and the numbers are easily readable from the couch across the room. However, in my bedroom I have a stereo wtih a blue backlit LCD display and from my bed the display just looks like a bright blue square and the actual display information is unreadable.

Is this what I can expect from the Matrix Orbital displays also? If I want to read the display information from across the room am I limited to using a VFD only?

Thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated.

--Ashman

Ashman
LCD?

Post by Ashman »

Maybe I should rephrase my question...

Can anybody who has a MX222 tell me if it has enough contrast between the foreground text and background color to be read from about 12 feet away?

Thanks.

--Ashman

Pheonix
LCD Guru

Post by Pheonix »

From 12 foot I *think* you would be struggling. A VFD would be far better for that kind of distance I think. If you do really want to go VFD it wou;ld have to be one of the blue on white, or perhaps white on blue as these generally have the best contrast (well apart from black on green, but thats abit boring init!)

Ashman
LCD?

Post by Ashman »

Thanks, Phoenix.

VFD it is... Now I just have to get paid again so I can afford one... :wink:

Pheonix
LCD Guru

Post by Pheonix »

Always the way!