need help powering LK204-25 V from just the serial cable

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Gooey
LCD?

need help powering LK204-25 V from just the serial cable

Post by Gooey »

Hi i have got a display as mentiond in the title, had it mounted internally but am now making a box for it to be external
I am slightly confused how to wire it up to power from only the serial cable and have a couple of questions
1 - Do I have to add and extra power source eg splice it from a molex connector then connect it to the correct wires on the serial cable, or does it just draw power from the serial port itself,
2 - which jumper needs soldering is it the one directly under the serial port on the display?
thanks in advance for any replies hope someone can help me

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

Hello...

With the part number you provided to me you can easily apply power via the DB9 connector. You must be aware that the model number you have is a "V" option and this implies that the unit will run on 7-12 Volts. This however is not the case if you apply voltage via the DB9. The voltage source must be an external 5 Volts as it does not run through a regulator. The solder jump just below the DB9 must be made and voltage ran to pin 9 of the DB9. The other connections of course are Rx, Tx and ground.
Miles Y.
Head of Technical Support
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

Pheonix
LCD Guru

Post by Pheonix »

Remember though, you could custom make a lead, as Serial will only use two cables. So you could use CAT5, with two cables for signal, two for 5V and 1 for ground...or similar

And you could get a plug end for it for the external box, and then split it off at the PC. I've done this before and it works quite well!

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

Thanx for the good suggestion Phoenix...that'll work quite well!! :)
Miles Y.
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

Pheonix
LCD Guru

Post by Pheonix »

NPs :)

Gooey
LCD?

Post by Gooey »

Thanks for the replies
What i ended up doing was taking some 6 core alarm wire, a floppy drive power header and a male and female serial header and just split the connections at either end of the cable to make the connections, one other mod was i got 2 spare molex plugs and mounted them to an empty PCI bracket so now I have external power from molexes, but after doing this, I think it may have been better to mount it into the pwer supply itself right next to where the power cable plugs in, ah well it'll do for revision 2 anyway lol
again thanks for the help, and i must say Matrtix Orbital displays combined with LCDC kicks ass, just wondering is there gonna be any 4x20 usb LCDs with the fanbus and thermal probe support coming out

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

Coming soon...release date still to be determined!!! :D :D
Miles Y.
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

Gooey
LCD?

Post by Gooey »