Keyboard LCD Mod

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

DedEye
LCD?

Keyboard LCD Mod

Post by DedEye »

I haven't tried this yet, but after thinking about it all day I REALLY want to do this.

I've wanted a MO LCD display ever since I've seen one, the only problem was my case location. With my tower on the floor and no desk space to put an external enclosure, my installation possibilities were limited. Today though I had (what I think) is a great idea: install the LCD in my keyboard. It's in a place I'd VERY easily see it, and my keyboard should have enough space for it.

I've seen in the gallery someone installed a 2x16 or 2x20 LCD in the top right of their keyboard, but unfortunately I can't do that in my keyboard. I have an MS Natural Pro keyboard, and have only two really good places I can think of to install the LCD (space permitting). I'd either put the LCD under the numberpad/arrow keys, or directly under the space bar. I'd get a 2x20 USB LCD (this one: http://www.matrixorbital.com/products/lk202-24-USB.htm), inverse blue backlight. I'd probably put something like plexiglass in front of the display so I didn't scratch or mark it up when I put my hand on it. My keyboard has a built in 2 port USB hub, so I shouldn't need to run another cable back to my case (am I wrong in thinking that this LCD doesn't need a molex connector and only uses the USB cable?), and I'd be able to see it a lot easier than my tower.

Of course, this isn't the only mod I'd like to do to my keyboard. I'd also want to paint the whole thing black (except for the blue multimedia keys), then find a way to change the letters and symbols to white text (I heard there's a way to make the letters UV reactive white, anyone know about this?), as well as change the green LEDs to blue ones, and possibly add EL lighting to backlight the keys.

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions about how to do this, if its possible, or the existence of guides on how to do this?
user_aim

Pheonix
LCD Guru

Post by Pheonix »

The USB displays do not need to be connected to anything other than the USB port, unless your using the high power GPOs

DedEye
LCD?

Post by DedEye »

Thanks for clearing that up. Do you think that this LCD would fit in an MS Natural Pro keyboard? Also, do you know of a guide to make / place to buy short USB cables for this LCD?
user_aim

banished
LCD Geek

Post by banished »

Dedeye, I hate you. I really do. I've been planning this exact same mod for almost a year now. I've just been waiting recently for the 4-line usb display ot come out. I knew if I had to wait too long, someone would come along and steal my idea. And now it's gone. Darn you Henry et al for making me wait so long for the new lcd.

DedEye
LCD?

Post by DedEye »

Don't be hatin'! 8)
I still haven't done the mod yet, so you still have time to beat me to the end. By the way, if/when you do it, do you think you could put up a how to for it all? The main problem I have with doing this mod is my lack of experience with modding like this.
user_aim

banished
LCD Geek

Post by banished »

Oh, how could I hate someone with ideas the same as mine? I did plan to post my progress on bit-tech when I got around to doing it, but again, I am still waiting on the 4-line usb lcd.

DedEye
LCD?

Post by DedEye »

Do you think the 4 line would fit? What keyboard do you have? Also, could you IM me on AIM? DedEye000
user_aim

banished
LCD Geek

Post by banished »

Yes, it should fit after taking out the screw post. As far as aim goes, I'm at work right now, so no can do till later.

DedEye
LCD?

Post by DedEye »

Where were you planning on installing the LCD, under the space bar or under the number pad? I can't decide where it would look better/be safer from getting scratched. Either way, I'd probably put a piece of plexiglass in front of it to protect it. Were you also going to do the other parts of the mod?
user_aim

banished
LCD Geek

Post by banished »

Check your pm.