Keypad broken?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

coolmody
LCD?

Keypad broken?

Post by coolmody »

I have an MX212 and I use LCDC and the screens work great. I can't do anything with the buttons though. I have tried adding them as events, but nothing happens.

I tried going to configure/test to see which parameters the LCD sent after I pushed a button, but nothing happens. I tried using hypertermnal and connecting to my mx212, but nothing comes up when I push a button. I tried reinstalling the drivers, tried plugging the lcd into every USB port on my computer with no success.

What am I doing wrong?

Pheonix
LCD Guru

Post by Pheonix »

The (Correct, error in the manual ATM) parameters are:

Enter = J
F2 = P
F1 = Q

UP Arrow = K
Right Arrow = F
Down Arrow = L
Left Arrow = R

You shouldn't have a problem if you use those :)

coolmody
LCD?

Post by coolmody »

I tried that as well and with no luck. I don't think the buttons even work because if I connect to it in hyperterminal shouldn't letters come up on the screen when I start hitting buttons? Nothing actually happens when I'm connected and I start to hit the keys.

linear
evil Dr. linear
evil Dr. linear

Post by linear »

Try it using LCDC's test mode--it will echo keypresses for sure.
BLK202A-4BR-BK + LK202-25-WB-V + LK204-25-V + VK204-25-V + LK-202-24-USB + MX212

coolmody
LCD?

Post by coolmody »

linear wrote:Try it using LCDC's test mode--it will echo keypresses for sure.
Nothing comes up.

Cheese
Bit-Tech.net
Bit-Tech.net

Post by Cheese »

Is the keypad plugged into the LCD properly? Does the LCD send it's version number to LCDC when you connect to it in test mode?

The keypad header connects directly to the PIC so it's difficult to imagine the controller being at fault and the rest of it working... it's equally difficult to imagine the whole keypad being b0rked - though I guess that's possible?

Have you updated your USB driver with the one posted on the forum? http://www.lcdforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1016

Rob.

coolmody
LCD?

Post by coolmody »

Cheese wrote:Is the keypad plugged into the LCD properly?
Rob.
No :)

Thanks for the help guys. I guess the plug on the back of the LCD was loose. It works fine now.

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Good to hear.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

coolmody
LCD?

Post by coolmody »

Alright well I found the problem was the plug on the back of the LCD was loose. If I move it around to just the right spot, the keypad works again. After about 10 min or more the keypad will stop working again and I have to readjust the plug on the back. I have tried taping it so it doesn't move, but after awhile I have to readadjust the plug for it to work again. Should I return it and get another LCD??? This is really annoying because everytime I want to use the keypad I have to open up my case, and readjust the plug on the back.

Cheese
Bit-Tech.net
Bit-Tech.net

Post by Cheese »

Personally I'd bend a few of the keypad headers pins a little so the plug is a little tighter in fitting - but that's the kind of guy I am :)

I'm sure MO will arrange to swap the keypad (or the whole thing) if you can't fix the problem...

Rob.

p.s. email technical support to sort out a return - http://www.lcdforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=405

coolmody
LCD?

Post by coolmody »

Thanks for the help. I have the USB version of the LCD so there are no pins to bend. I'll arrange for it to be replaced.

Cheese
Bit-Tech.net
Bit-Tech.net

Post by Cheese »

coolmody wrote:Thanks for the help. I have the USB version of the LCD so there are no pins to bend. I'll arrange for it to be replaced.
I meant the pins the keypads plug slots onto... the usb controller does have them!

Rob.