Problems w/ my glk1223225sm freezing w/ LCDC

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

TAG
LCD Geek

Problems w/ my glk1223225sm freezing w/ LCDC

Post by TAG »

Hi, I'm having problems running my MO display w/ LCDC ...
My glk1223225sm seems to freeze after a random period of time running (sometimes just 20 seconds). I also own another display of another brand and i had the exact same problem ... the fix (as explained here) was to solder together the 2 wires going to the host busy and module busy lines of the serial port together. Not many owners of that display had had the problem so it might be due to my motherboard's serial port/controller. Would this fix work w/ my GLK screen? I tried to disable flowcontrol via the LCD command but then i get a lot of giberrish on the screen .....

I also cant seem to turn the backlight off through LCDC events (works well in test mode in LCDC config but not @ all w/ events, although i should really post this on the LCDC forum i thought id post it here too.

Appart from that the display works fine (still got minor problems w/ loading fonts through LCDC but that might just be me)
Hope we can get this sorted so i can put my GPOs to good use.
Thanks in advance

TAG
LCD Geek

Post by TAG »

No reply so far :(
Havent any of you got an idea of what i could do to sort this problem?
My LCD is virtually unusable w/ that freezing problem. Guess I'll need to try it on another computer to see if the problem is related to my mobo .... I'll let u know when i can do that, but i wouldnt mind some sort of feedback on my problem though ...

Pheonix
LCD Guru

Post by Pheonix »

Hi,

I would try emailing support@matrixorbital.com from a NON Yahoo, Hotmail Excite (or other spam-tastic free email service). I'm sure they will get back to you ASAP.

TAG
LCD Geek

Post by TAG »

ok ill try that
tx

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

most important thing, does the LCD freeze with MOGD?
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

TAG
LCD Geek

Post by TAG »

no but mogd cant send data continuously like lcdc does, and since it doesnt freeze straight away i cant really tell u if it would crash in mogd

Cheese
Bit-Tech.net
Bit-Tech.net

Post by Cheese »

Can't you try the display in another PC? I don't think LCDC would freeze even if the flow control returns never came (because it doesn't if a display isn't plugged in!), so I suspect your serial port is doing somehting silly...

Rob.

TAG
LCD Geek

Post by TAG »

ill give it a try next weekend
i dig ur avatar in this forum cheese :)
dunno what ill do if it works on another comp, need to reinstall xp too, but shouldnt be the problem.
VFD works fine on both ports BTW

TAG
LCD Geek

Post by TAG »

LCDC isnt actually freezing, but rather the LCD is .... When frozen, the LCD doesnt update anymore and i can then still stop LCDC (which takes a much longer time than when not frozen) and then start it again making the LCD restart displaying its configured screens ... until it eventually freezes again...

Cheese
Bit-Tech.net
Bit-Tech.net

Post by Cheese »

lol oops, sorry musta misread.

Ok so when the LCD is frozen you just mean it stops responding to LCDC commands until you stop and start LCDC, i.e. when the LCD freezes if you quit LCDC and fire up MODG, all is well?

If so I doubt it's the lcd (a good thing) and could well be the way LCDC addresses your serial port...

Rob.

TAG
LCD Geek

Post by TAG »

yeah if I quit LCDC (and not even stop beforehand) and launch mogd afterwards, lcd responds to mogd .... BTW quiting LCDC as well as stopping it when LCD is frozen takes like 15 seconds
Might well be a problem with lcdc adressing my serial port ... noticed a problem w/ backlight command for instance .... using DSP->ProcessCommands -> backlightoff in a LCDC event doesnt work @ all, while using DSP->BacklightOff instead works well .... using backlightOff command in test area of LCDC config works too ....

Cheese
Bit-Tech.net
Bit-Tech.net

Post by Cheese »

The slow quit time is due to the time out on the failed flow control return I think, to be expected if the LCD isn't responding to LCDC...

Rob.

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

make sure you have both Rx and Tx lines connected and working.. easiest way to check is to see if you can get firmware, type or key strokes from the keypad.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

TAG
LCD Geek

Post by TAG »

keypad and gpos are working so i guess Rx and Tx are properly connected (using MOs cables)

TAG
LCD Geek

Post by TAG »

only using 2 momentary switches for keypad @ the moment, jope thats allowed, cant see why not