usb advantages?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

sykocus
LCD!

usb advantages?

Post by sykocus »

Whats advantages does the usb interface have over serrial? I've always thought of usb as somewhat of a resource hog. I may be wrong.

nethyr
LCD?

Post by nethyr »

hey syo, from fcpu... small world eh? :)

first thing off the top of my head, most modern mobos only support 1 com port. i know i'm hunting one of those usb2serial things now since i wanna run a lcd and still sync my samsung palm/phone thingy which is com only

linear
evil Dr. linear
evil Dr. linear

Post by linear »

Well, if you focus on the advantages of the MO USB displays, there are several (some of which don't generalize to all USB devices).

- ease of connection. No modified cables are required with the USB models, and only one USB connection is required to operate the display (although it supports a separate power connection). This is an improvement in an area where MO displays gave people some trouble before.

- GPO enhancements. The GPO selection is now three low-current 5V and three high-current 12V GPOs (the 12V ones require separate power connection) so these new units are a three-channel xBus right out of the box, suitable for switching auxilliary fans, lighting, what have you.

- LCDC bundled. The license for LCDC is included in the bundle with the USB products (but not necessarily if you buy the bare display). That just makes one less issue to deal with (paying for software separately is pretty painless, but now it's totally painless).

- new colors. There are a few new colors of display that I think aren't avaiable in serial.

nethyr already mentioned the legacy-free bit, some machines don't have serial ports now, and fewer will as time goes on, so a USB model is more fututre-proof.

So summing up, the only real functional difference is the GPOs, the rest amounts to conveniences really.
Last edited by linear on Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLK202A-4BR-BK + LK202-25-WB-V + LK204-25-V + VK204-25-V + LK-202-24-USB + MX212

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Yes, the one cable for everything is the biggest bonus
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

sykocus
LCD!

Post by sykocus »

nethyr wrote:hey syo, from fcpu... small world eh? :)

first thing off the top of my head, most modern mobos only support 1 com port. i know i'm hunting one of those usb2serial things now since i wanna run a lcd and still sync my samsung palm/phone thingy which is com only
hey, u going to get a LCD or are you just a forum bunny?

thanks for the info. i just realized you don't have any 20x4 displays in usb. are there any plans for them?

I'm not completely sure I want/need a 4 line display. I want to fit in in a single 5.25 bay which would be easier to do with a 20x2. GOP's: I don't plan on controling fans, just one to tell me if i have mail is fine.

Have any advice?

Adam
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Adam »

We should have a USB 20x4 PC Bay insert display in a couple of months which will also have a keypad overlay. This product however will require two drive bays.
Adam L.
Sales Manager
Matrix Orbital

A nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat.

nethyr
LCD?

Post by nethyr »

actually i've already got myself one :) bout a month ago. gimmie a pm on fcp, i'll let ya know what i know :)

sykocus
LCD!

Post by sykocus »

Adam wrote:We should have a USB 20x4 PC Bay insert display in a couple of months which will also have a keypad overlay. This product however will require two drive bays.
the double bay inserts just seem to have too much extra space. for my taste anyways.

Pheonix
LCD Guru

Post by Pheonix »

sykocus wrote:
Adam wrote:We should have a USB 20x4 PC Bay insert display in a couple of months which will also have a keypad overlay. This product however will require two drive bays.
the double bay inserts just seem to have too much extra space. for my taste anyways.
Matrix Orbital are re-designing the current 20x4 faceplate to include buttons

So the space wont be extra any more :)

Ram Z
LCD?

Post by Ram Z »

Quote:

Originally posted by Linear

- LCDC bundled. The license for LCDC is included in the bundle with the USB products. That just makes one less issue to deal with (paying for software separately is pretty painless, but now it's totally painless).

Uuuuuh, Not on mine. I'm told that you have to buy it as a kit to get LCDC.
So don't buy the USB Display thinking you get LCDC.

linear
evil Dr. linear
evil Dr. linear

Post by linear »

Right, to be clear, you need to buy the bundle,and I've now edited my original post to that effect.
BLK202A-4BR-BK + LK202-25-WB-V + LK204-25-V + VK204-25-V + LK-202-24-USB + MX212

JeffPh
LCD Geek

Post by JeffPh »

Bundle? is that the one that comes with the 5.25 drive bay? sorry i just ordered one :)

Pheonix
LCD Guru

Post by Pheonix »

Yes the one with the 5.25" drive bay insert

JeffPh
LCD Geek

Post by JeffPh »

Pheonix thanks for the info...

Linear, great site truly awesome.................... i loved ur site the best modding case site ive seen so far...... am new to modding got a lian li PC 65 starting to mod and got a lot of NICE ideas from ur site :) I wish u dont mind if i ask some assistance with GPO's thanks

linear
evil Dr. linear
evil Dr. linear

Post by linear »

Thanks, JeffPh. <pimping>Come on by and see us at http://www.bit-tech.net/ too.</pimping>